Extended Day Staff
Woodland School is seeking Extended Day Staff for a part-time position. (Monday-Thursday, 2:30pm-6:00pm, Friday 1:30-6:00pm). The extended day program is a safe, fun, and inclusive space for our preschool through 8th grade students. A blend of enrichment classes and self-directed activities allow students to interact with wildcats across grade levels. A heavy focus is placed on developing social-emotional skills.
Enrichment classes include but are not limited to athletic activities, arts and crafts, cooking, carpentry, technology, and music classes led by both external organizations and Woodland teachers. The after school enrichment program strives to support the school day program in fostering a love of learning by exposing students to a variety of disciplines.
Located just west of Stanford University, Woodland is an independent day school that offers a joyful approach to learning in a diverse, respectful, and inclusive environment for approximately 300 students in early childhood through eighth grade. There are two sections of each grade level K- 8 with class sizes that average between 14-18 students.
Woodland School specializes in education that inspires students by nurturing each individual’s voice, intellect, and character. With rich content and an emphasis on inquiry-based and student-driven projects, students are empowered and encouraged to be active and engaged learners. Our students’ innate sense of wonder is the foundation of learning at Woodland School. Teachers craft meaningful, multi-sensory learning experiences that enable creativity, ingenuity, and deep interdisciplinary connections. Students explore and develop complex understandings that engender a sense of self and purpose in the world.
Woodland School’s faculty create a school environment that is as supportive and nurturing as it is challenging, and they embody the core values of the school—respect, integrity, curiosity, resilience, equity, and stewardship. Our teachers are themselves learners, constantly searching for ways to improve their practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide student supervision and circulate among extended day program spaces.
- Actively engage with students during program hours, including assisting students with homework, supervising play time, and supporting creative projects.
- Provide leadership, energy, and spirit for students, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual students.
- Set up and clean activities each afternoon.
- Maintain a channel of communication with parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Assist with maintaining registration, enrollment, and payment records.
- Assist with management of logistical needs and supplies for the extended day program.
- Document medical incidents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working with elementary age children
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills with the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with all constituents.
- Strong classroom management and organizational skills
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Demonstrated professional behavior, including discretion, judgment and integrity.
All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check, LiveScan fingerprinting, and TB screening.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The position can be physically demanding. Reasonable accommodations may be made if requested in advance.
How to Apply
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for a minimum of three references (at least one recent supervisor is required).
Salary range: The salary range for this position is between $18.00-$24.00/hour depending on qualifications and experience.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Woodland School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from candidates who reflect such diversity. Woodland School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin in the administration of its educational or admission policies, financial aid distribution, or other school programs.