Guest Teacher/Extended Day Staff (2023-24 School Year)
Woodland School is seeking a full time guest teacher who will support our after school extended day program. The substitute teacher works under the direction of the Director of Teaching, Learning, and Professional Growth to teach in the absence of classroom teachers or specialists (science, music, art, design & tech, Spanish, or physical education). The successful substitute teacher will be culturally competent and able to foster a safe, nurturing environment for children in the absence of the homeroom teacher or specialist.
Woodland School specializes in education that inspires students by nurturing each individual’s voice, intellect, and character. With rich content and an emphasis on inquiry-based and student-driven projects, students are empowered and encouraged to be active and engaged learners. Our students’ innate sense of wonder is the foundation of learning at Woodland School. Teachers craft meaningful, multisensory learning experiences which enable creativity, ingenuity, and deep interdisciplinary connections. Students explore and develop complex understandings that engender a sense of self and purpose in the world. Woodland School’s faculty create a school environment that is as supportive and nurturing as it is challenging, and they embody the core values of the school—stewardship, integrity, curiosity, resilience, equity, and respect.
Guest Teacher Position Specifics
- Instruct lessons, implement regular routines, and supervise all duties according to the classroom or specialist teacher's plans.
- Provide a written report at the end of the day to communicate with the teacher about the day’s events.
- Sign in and out with front office staff upon arrival and at any point of departure from campus.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attend staff meetings, and serve on committees as required.
- Administer standardized ability and achievement tests, and interpret results to determine student strengths and areas of need.
- Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
Extended Day Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide student supervision and circulate among extended day program spaces.
- Actively engage with students during program hours, including assisting students with homework, supervising play time, and supporting creative projects.
- Provide leadership, energy, and spirit for students, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual students.
- Set up and clean activities each afternoon.
- Maintain a channel of communication with parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Assist with maintaining registration, enrollment, and payment records.
- Assist with management of logistical needs and supplies for the extended day program.
- Document medical incidents.
- BA or equivalent in education or related field
- Experience teaching elementary and/or middle school aged children
- Intercultural competency, ability to engage appropriately with a diverse community and to teach diverse groups of students effectively
- Digital literacy; intermediate Google Docs/Drive and other web-based applications, as appropriate to job duties, ability to adapt as digital tools evolve and change
- Ability to pass background checks and employee screenings
- Demonstrated professional behavior, including discretion, judgment and integrity.
- Effectively interacts with a diverse population of students and faculty.
- All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check, LiveScan fingerprinting and TB screening.
- Bachelors, Masters or equivalent in education or related field
- Teaching credential
- Three-five years of classroom experience
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The position can be physically demanding. Reasonable accommodations may be made if requested in advance.
How to Apply
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for a minimum of three references (at least one recent supervisor is required).
Salary range: $55,000-$58,000
Woodland School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from candidates who reflect such diversity. Woodland School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin in the administration of its educational or admission policies, financial aid distribution, or other school programs.